Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Angelina Jolie Says She Can Be a Disciplinarian


When it comes to parenting, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are nothing if not hands-on.

In terms of disciplining Maddox, 6, Pax, 4, Zahara, 3, and Shiloh, 2, the pregnant (with twins) Jolie, who turns 33 on Wednesday, tells Vanity Fair for its July issue that she operates on a rewards system, though admits, “You end up hearing yourself saying all those clichĂ©d parent things: ‘I don’t care who started it, but I’m here to finish it.’ ”

In terms of day-to-day child-rearing, she presents the children with sticker stars that are redeemable for treats – thereby keeping them in line while also teaching them the tenets of capitalism. Besides, that method “is how my mom [Marcheline Bertrand] raised me, which is to figure out who I was and try to enhance my individual personality and not get in the way of it. But I can really discipline the kids when I need to.”

When it comes to professional caregivers, “We don’t ever have anybody spend the night,” she says. “We may have to adjust that when the next one comes. But we do have ladies that work with us, and they’re also from different cultures and backgrounds. One lady’s a Vietnamese teacher – wonderful. One is of Congolese descent from Belgium. Another is from the States and is really creative and does art programs.”

Jolie also says that the decision to have children from three continents was “absolutely intentional. When I was growing up I wanted to adopt, because I was aware there were kids that didn’t have parents. It’s not a humanitarian thing, because I don’t see it as a sacrifice. It’s a gift. We’re all lucky to have each other.”

No comments: